Q: When do I need a lawyer?
A: There are certain circumstances in which the answer is not that simple. Depending on the specific facts of your situation will depend on whether you need a lawyer or not. In some situations, however, hiring a lawyer is essential.
If you are feeling uncomfortable with the possibility of representing yourself, it is important to sit down with an attorney at Handelin Law. If you are forming or acquiring a business, it may be prudent to consult an experienced business law attorney at Handelin Law. If you find yourself in a situation where you could lose a great deal of money in a lawsuit, you should hire a litigation attorney at Handelin Law. If you find yourself wondering how to plan for your healthcare decisions and distribution of assets or businesses upon your passing, come visit one of our experienced estate planning attorneys. If you find yourself in an overly complex divorce where disagreements over assets, children, allegations of domestic violence, or finances arise, your first step should be to call Handelin Law and sit down with one of our family law attorneys.
There are plenty more situations in which you should hire a lawyer, visit our blog “7 Reasons You Need a Lawyer” to learn more.
Q: When hiring an attorney, what should I expect?
A: When you are hiring an attorney, you should expect them to work for you. Your lawyer should be your “go-to” person for your specific situation and be your advocate, but also provide practical advice. During your first consultation with one of our Handelin Law attorneys, look out for these key points:
- Did we lay out each option and explain the pros and cons of your case?
- Did we relay the message that everything you say is in confidence?
- Did we offer to interview everyone that is involved to ensure the best outcome?
- Did we discuss fees and come to an agreement?
- Did we give you a brief overview of the time your case may take and the most honest outcome of your case, good or bad?
Q: How do legal fees work?
A: Legal fee structures are as different as there are different cases. Fees can be structured based on the amount of time involved, statutorily set amounts, or how much money is recovered for you. Our rates at Handelin Law are tailored for your individual case, based on our experience and time dedicated to each matter. Because each case is different, this blog is not the place to tell you how much your particular case will cost. However, you can expect to fall into one of these categories:
- Base Rates: Our Handelin Law attorney does a set service for a set price. These are “base fees” because, in some instances, your case may require work or attention above and beyond what was initially anticipated. If you enter into an attorney-client relationship with an attorney at Handelin Law, your attorney will clearly explain what is included.
- Hourly Rates: This rate structure is the most common type for litigation or contested matters. The amount you are charged directly correlates with the amount of time that our Handelin Law attorney and staff have dedicated to a matter. These rates are set based on things like experience, market, and type of case, among other considerations.
- Contingency Fees: You pay nothing upfront, and the attorney’s payment is contingent on the amount of recovery. Again, the percentages are based on the type of case and may increase based on specific milestones in your case.
Q: How do I prepare for a consultation with an attorney?
A: Preparing for your first meeting with our Handelin Law attorneys may seem intimidating, but it does not have to be that way, as long as you know what to expect. It is important you go into your consultation with an open mind, with all important and relevant documents, take in all the pros and cons, and ask questions regarding the different options you would consider. Our Handelin Law attorneys are skilled in exploring and explaining all the different options you can take. Also, you should know that you are not required to hire our attorneys; look at your first consultation at Handelin Law as an interview. Likewise, a consultation is an opportunity for our attorneys to evaluate your case and decide if it is the right case for us to take on or whether you even need an attorney.
Q: When hiring an attorney, what should they expect from me?
A: Our Handelin Law attorneys want the honest facts concerning your case – especially the unfavorable ones. This is simply so they can figure out the best approach to your legal problem. Understand that results are not guaranteed, but our attorneys here at Handelin Law will ensure the best way to go about your situation. It may seem like a lot to ask right off the bat, but trust is mutual with our experienced attorneys at Handelin Law. Without trust, you may fall into a cycle of constant wandering, excessive visits, or phone calls, and this can become incredibly stressful for not only you but your wallet.
You can schedule a thirty-minute consultation at no charge by clicking here or give our team a call at 775.882.8032.